Meet teenager with bizarre food phobia who eats only tinned SPAGHETTI
A pretty teenager is so scared of most foods she eats almost nothing except tinned spaghetti. Slender Leah Frost, 17, a college student from Leeds, has munched only on the stringy snack since she was a child.
Her mother Yvonne has tried everything to persuade her daughter to have a varied diet, including therapy, but nothing has worked. The only other foods Leah has been persuaded to add to her limited menu are chips, bread, cheese and sponge cake. Yet despite her poor high-carb diet Leah remains a svelte size eight.
Leah said: “If someone puts something down in front of me and I know it isn’t right it makes me feel anxious and scared to eat it. Even with the food I do eat it has to be right. Like with chips – I can’t just eat any chips. It puts me in some difficult situations when I’m out with my friends because a lot of them don’t know how bad my phobia is.”
to be scared of – félni valamitől, megrémülni valamitől
almost nothing – szinte semmi(t)
tinned – konzerv, tartósított
to munch – eszik csámcsogva, rágcsál, élvezettel eszik
stringy – madzagszerű, szálas, nyúlós, itt: spagetti szó helyett
to persuade sy to do sg – rávesz valakit, hogy valamit csináljon, meggyőz
varied diet – változatos étrend
including – beleértve, magába foglalva
to be persuaded to do sg – meg van győzve, hogy csináljon valamit
sponge cake – piskóta
despite sg – valami ellenére
high-carb diet – magas szénhidráttartalmú étkezés
svelte size eight – karcsú nyolcas méret (kb. 34-36)
anxious – itt: szorongó, pánikoló
any chips – itt: bármilyen csipsz
to put sy in a difficult situation – valakit nehéz helyzetbe hozni
phobia – fóbia
Match the expressions with the definitions.
1. to munch
2. varied diet
3. sponge cake
4. high-carb diet
5. tinned food
a, Eating various kinds of food
b, Preserved food in a specal can.
c, A very light cake made of flour, sugar, beaten eggs.
d, To chew food audibly or to eat with pleasure.
e, Eating foods having a high carbohydrate content.
answers: 1. d; 2. a; 3. c; 4. e; 5. b
– 1/2 pound Italian sausage (20 dkg)
– 4 cans tomato sauce
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon dried basil
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 package spaghetti
– Check All Add to Shopping List
1. In a large pan, fry sausage over medium heat; drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and Italian sausage; mix well.
3. Simmer over medium-low heat for at least one hour
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
5. Mix sauce with hot pasta; serve.