Baked treats are usually off limits if you want to shed a few kilos or simply want to eat more healthily. But these delicious cakes are lower in shortening, sugar and flour than regular cakes.
Blueberry Cottage Cheese Cake
Creamed cottage cheese replaces butter in this tasty cake.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 180 ml brown sugar
- 1 container (250 g) creamed cottage cheese
- 250 ml cake flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- 250 ml semolina
- 1 ml grated lemon rind
- 500 ml blueberries
- 30-60 ml yellow sugar
- 60 ml almond flakes
- extra blueberries for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a 23 cm cake tin.
- Whisk the egg yolk slightly, add the brown sugar and whisk until light and creamy. Add the cheese and mix. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and sift the dry ingredients over the cheese mixture. Gently fold in the semolina. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture along with the lemon rind.
- Turn the batter into the pre-heated cake tin, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle over the blueberries. Mix the yellow sugar and almond flakes and scatter the mixture on top of the batter.
- Bake for an hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Scatter extra blueberries (if using) on top just before serving.
|to whisk slightly||kissé felverni|
|to gently fold in||finoman belekeverni|
|to turn the batter into the cake tin||betenni a tésztát a tortaformába|