Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time:1 hour
Calories per serving:490
Fat per serving:28g
for the carrot cake
– 175g wholemeal self-raising flour
– 1 level tsp baking powder
– 2 level tsp ground mixed spice
– pinch of salt
– 150ml sunflower oil
– 175g soft light brown sugar
– 3 medium eggs
– 100g raisins
– 250g carrots, peeled and grated
for the topping
– 200g cream cheese
– few drops vanilla extract
– 3-4 level tablespoon icing sugar
– orange and green food colouring
– 1kg loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
– 2 disposable piping bags
1. Set the oven to moderate, 180°C.
2. To make the carrot cake: Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the baking powder, spice and salt. Then stir in all the remaining ingredients until well mixed. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
3. Bake in centre of oven for about 1 hour, until just firm to the touch in the centre. A skewer should come out clean after being inserted into the middle.
4. Remove cake from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
5. To make the topping: Beat together the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Add icing sugar to taste.
6. Colour a small amount of icing orange and a small amount green, and use to fill a piping bag each. Spread the remaining uncoloured icing over the top of the cake.
7. Cut the end off the bag with the orange icing to give a small hole, and pipe tapered zigzags, to resemble carrots. Cut the end off the green icing bag into a ‘V’ shape and pipe leaves.
Wrap undecorated cake in a freezer bag; freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before icing.