Indulgent Peppermint Crisp Ice Cream
Ice cream is traditionally made with a cream and egg custard. We flavoured this version with Peppermint Crisp chocolate and fresh mint.
makes:about 1 litre
preparation: 20 min
cooking: 15-20 min
freezing: 5-6 hours or overnight
– 500ml (2c) cream
– 250ml (1c) milk
– 5 egg yolks
– 125ml (½c) sugar
– 1 bar (150g) Peppermint Crisp chocolate, grated
– 4 fresh mint leaves, chopped
– ice-cream cones
– extra Peppermint Crisp chocolate, finely chopped (optional)
1. Keep a clean ice-cream container or deep ovenproof dish handy.
2. Egg custard: Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan and heat to just below boiling point. Remove from the heat.
3. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together. Spoon a ladleful of the warm cream mixture into the egg mixture while beating continuously. Add another ladleful of the cream mixture while beating the eggs.
4. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and beat well. Heat slowly over low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to thicken. Don’t let it boil.
5. Transfer to a mixing bowl and leave to cool completely.
6. Ice cream: Mix the chocolate and mint into the custard and transfer to the ice-cream container or ovenproof dish. Freeze for 2 hours, then use a fork to mix. Freeze for another 2 hours, mix again then freeze until solid.
7. To serve: Remove from the freezer about 30 minutes before serving. Add scoops to ice-cream cones, top with the chopped chocolate (if using), and serve immediately.