cuts: into 15 squares
calories per square: 316
fat per tbsp: 17g
saturated fat per square: 7g
suitable for freezing: no
- 300g plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature, cubed
- 100g packet ground almonds
- 100g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 350g Plum Jam
- 50g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 18x28cm traybake tin, lined with baking parchment
1. Set the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Tip the flour into the bowl of a food processor and add the cubed butter, ground almonds, sugar and salt. Whizz the mixture until it starts to bind together. Alternatively, tip the ingredients into a bowl and rub the butter into the flour.
3. Tip about 3/4 of the mixture into the base of the lined tin and spread it out well, then press it down very firmly. Spread the jam over the top in an even layer.
4. Mix the flaked almonds into the remaining crumb mixture, and press it together so it forms larger chunks. Scatter this on top of the jam.
5. Bake the traybake in the centre of the oven for 45-50 mins, until the top is light golden. Remove it from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
6. Use the lining paper to help lift the traybake out on to a cutting board and cut into squares.