Moroccan Soup with Crunchy Chickpeas
Calories per serving: 113
Saturated fat: 0.5g
Suitable for freezing: yes
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
– 2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
– 1 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
– half tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 tbsp harissa paste
– 2x400g cans whole tomatoes
– zest and juice of half a lemon
– 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– handful of coriander leaves
– flat or pitta breads, toasted
1.Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, peppers and garlic and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the spices and harissa paste, cook for a minute, then add the tomatoes and two canfuls hot water, to rinse out the cans into the soup. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Use a stick blender to blitz half the soup a little. Reheat for a few minutes, if necessary. Add the lemon zest and juice.
3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, add the dried chickpeas and fry for a few minutes, until golden and crunchy. Sprinkle on top of soup with coriander leaves. Serve with flat or pitta breads.
Tip from our kitchen: To make this soup even more substantial, or stretch further, add 150g cooked basmati rice.