Nézzük meg hogyan készül ez a hagyományos brit egytálétel!
Pies and puddings
Pies and puddings are related phenomena in British culinary history. Originally, both solved the problem of preparing dinners made with less expensive meats. Pies covered a stew or other ingredients with a crust; puddings were made from butcher’s scraps tucked into a sheep’s stomach, then steamed or boiled. Pies have remained pies, although, in addition to savoury pies, there now exist sweet variations, which tend to have two crusts or a bottom crust only.
Over time, however, in a confusing development, pudding has become a more general term for a sweet or savoury steamed mixture – as well as a word that describes desserts in general. For example, black pudding is actually made with pig’s blood. Whereas plum pudding is a Christmas treat consisting of a steamed cake of beef suet and dried and candied fruits soaked in brandy. And, of course, one can’t forget rice pudding.
related – összefüggő
phenomena – jelenég
originally – eredetilg
to solve – megoldani
stew – pörkölt, ragu
crust – héj, itt: pite tészta
scrap – aprólék, maradék (hús)
to tuck into – beletömködni
to remain – megmaradni
in addition to – ráadásul
savoury – sós
confusing – zavaros, zavarba ejtő
black pudding – véres hurka
to consist of – valamiből állni
suet – faggyú
Steak and kidney pudding
CALORIES PER SERVING: 590
FAT PER SERVING: 30g
500g braising steak, diced
4 lambs’ kidneys, halved, cored and quartered
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium carrot, chopped
fresh sprigs of thyme or 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon dried mixed mushrooms, optional
2 ½ level tablespoons plain flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
150ml warm beef stock
FOR THE SUET PASTRY:
250g plain flour
1 level tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
125g light suet
1 level teaspoon English mustard powder
1.25-1.5 litre pudding basin, buttered
1. To make the suet pastry: Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Mix in the suet and mustard powder. Add about 150ml cold water and work to a soft suet dough. Roll into a ball and let it rest in the bowl for a15 minutes while you prepare the filling.
2. Mix the steak, kidney, onion, carrot, thyme, mushrooms, if using, and flour with lots of seasoning in a large bowl.
3. Roll out the suet dough on a lightly floured surface, to a circle about 1 cm thick, so that it is generously large enough to line the basin (measure with a piece of string down one side, across the bottom and up the other side of the basin, then add on about 2.5cm).
4. Cut a quarter segment out of the circle and set this aside (in a ball) to make the lid. Line the basin with the pastry, overlapping the cut edges to make a good seal. Bring the pastry up and over the sides.
5. Spoon the meat and vegetables into the lined basin, packing them down. Pour in the stock and a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Roll out the pastry for the lid, to a round that just fits the top. Brush round the top edge of the pastry with a little water and put the lid on. Pinch and press the edges together to seal them well.
6. Cover with a piece of buttered baking parchment, with a 5 cm pleat in it, and foil, also pleated. Secure with string. Put in a steamer or on a trivet in a large pan half/filled with boiling water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and steam for 3½-4 hours. Check and top up with boiling water every half-hour. Take it out of the steamer and leave it to rest for 10-15 minutes before removing the foil and paper.
7. Serve the pudding from the basin or turn out on to a dish that will catch the gravy. Serve with steamed cabbage.
Not suitable for freezing.
braising steak – marha szegy
diced – kockázott
kidney – vese
halved – félbe vágott
cored – közepét, belét kiszedve
quartered – negyedelt
optional – választható
level tablespoon – csapott evőkanál
beef stock – marha alaplé
suet pastry – hájastészta
pinch – csipet
pudding basin – magas oldalú kerámiatál
to sift – szitálni
to roll out – kinyújtani
floured surface – lisztezett felület
to line – kibélelni
quarter segment – negyedkör
overlapping – átfed
to make a good seal – jól zárjon
to pack sth down – belenyomkodni
to brush – ecsettel kenni
to pinch and press – összecsippenteni és összenyomni
baking parchment – sütőpapír
pleat – behajtás
to secure – rögzíteni
steamer – gőzölő
trivet – állvány
tight-fitting – jól záró
to top up – felönteni
to turn out – kiborítani
gravy – szaft, mártás