Sticky Parkin with Marshmallow Hot Chocolate
saturated fat: 4g
suitable for freezing: YES
250g self-raising flour
100g medium oatmeal
150g light or dark muscovado sugar
4-5tsp ground ginger
1 large egg
4 level tbsp black treacle
4 level tbsp golden syrup
18x28cm oblong tin, lined with baking parchment
1. Set the oven to 180 °C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the flour, oatmeal, sugar and ground ginger in a large bowl and stir to mix it well. Make a well in the centre and add the egg, and then cover the egg with the flour mixture.
3. Put the butter, treacle and golden syrup in the pan and place over a low heat until the butter melts. Add the milk to the pan and heat until the mixture is almost at boiling point and then pour it into the flour mixture.
4. Stir in the mixture well until smooth, then pour the mixture into the lined tin and bake it in the centre of the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until it’s just firm to the touch in the centre.
5. Remove the parkin from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Remove it from the tin, peel away the lining paper and leave it to cool. Wrap the cold cake in baking parchment, then foil, and leave it in a cool, dry place for three to four days before serving. To serve, cut into 15 squares. Serve it with marshmallow hot chocolate (you’ll find the recipe on our website).
6. You can wrap the cold cake in a freezer bag, seal and freeze it for up to 1 month. Allow the cake to defrost before serving.
Tip from our kitchen:
The parkin should be made a few days in advance, as the flavour mellows and it becomes more moist once wrapped and left for a couple of days.
Marshmallow Hot Chololate
saturated fat: 15g
suitable for freezing: NO
1 ltr bottle full-cream milk
150 ml carton double cream
200g bar dark chocolate, broken into pieces
few drops of vanilla extact
mini marshmallows to serve
1. Bring the milk and cream to the boil then add the chocolate pieces and stir until melted. Using a stick blender will help to make sure it’s well mixed, or use a whisk.
2. Add the vanilla extract to taste and pour into mugs and top with marshmallows just before serving.