Horogra akadt egy kis bölcsesség és egy halas feladatsorozat, szószedettel és videóval!
A rich businessman saw a fisherman sitting peacefully next to his boat and got irritated. He went up to the fisherman. “Why don’t you go fishing?”
The fisherman replied. “Because I’ve caught enough fish for today.”
“So why don’t you catch some more fish?”
“What would I do with it?”
“You could earn more money and soon you would have a whole fleet of fishing boats and then you would be as rich as I am.”
“And what would I do then?”
“You could relax and enjoy life.”
“Why? What do you think I am doing right now?”
First match the fishing expressions with their original fishing definition.
a) Hooked on
b) Off the hook
c) Hook, line and sinker
d) Reel in
e) Open a can of worms
1) The fish that you couldn’t catch and got away.
2) You can buy worms for fishing in cans at bait shops. These cans are usually easy to open but difficult to close because the worms keep trying to crawl out.
3) Parts of a fishing rod: the hook to catch the fish, the line is the string and the weight on the line to keep it under water is the sinker.
4) To be caught on the hook.
5) To bring in the fish caught on the hook by turning the reel on the fishing rod.
Answers: 1) b, 2) e, 3) c, 4) a, 5) d
Now fill in the gaps with one of the fishing expressions to show their everyday use in English.
a) hook, line and sinker
b) reel in
c) hooked on
d) off the hook
e) open a can of worms
1) She’s going to ………. tons of customers!
2) Great news! That means I’m ……….
3) You really did ………. by saying that.
4) I’ve never seen you so excited. It really got you ……….!
5) You really do fall for his lies every time, ………. .
Answers: 1) b, 2) d, 3) e, 4) c, 5) a
And now try to match the two parts of a dialogue:
1) A: I just told her I don’t believe in marriage and she has been crying ever since. I didn’t know her husband has just asked for a divorce.
2) A: I’ve been to four yoga classes so far and I love it more and more. I’m even thinking of becoming a yoga instructor.
3) A: Becky started working at our beauty parlour last week and everybody adores her. She is wonderful with people.
4) A: Tom’s working late tonight and he said he might even have to sleep in his office again. He has so much work to do nowadays, the poor dear.
5) A: Ben admitted he had taken that money so now I know it wasn’t you.
a) B: She’s going to reel in tons of customers!
b) B: Great news! That means I’m off the hook.
c) B: You really did open a can of worms by saying that.
d) B: I have never seen you so excited. It really got you hooked on!
e) B: You really do fall for his lies every time, hook, line and sinker.
Answers: 1) c, 2) d, 3) a, 4) e, 5) b
to be hooked on – horogra akadni
to be off the hook – kimászni a slamasztikából
hook, line and sinker – bevenni valamit, elhinni valakinek mindent, ától cetig
to reel in – bevonzani
to open a can of worms – kellemetlen helyzetet teremteni vagy bajt okozni valamivel