Top Ten Phobias
Fear of Spiders. Half of women and 10 per cent of men have, to some degree, a fear of spiders.
2. Social Phobia
Fear of being evaluated negatively in social situations. Approximately 5.3 million American adults, or about 3.7 percent of people in this age group in a given year, have social phobia. Social phobia typically begins in childhood or adolescence.
Fear of flying.
Agoraphobia involves intense fear and avoidance of any place or situation where escape might be difficult or help unavailable in the event of developing sudden panic-like symptoms. Approximately 3.2 million American, or about 2.2 percent, have agoraphobia.
Fear of being trapped in small confined spaces.
Fear of heights.
Fear of vomit.
Fear of cancer.
Fear of thunderstorms.
Fear of death or or dead things
Celebrities who are afraid of flying
- Singer Aretha Franklin has an extreme fear of flying. She won’t travel on airplanes, even for concerts clear across the country.
- Actor and screenwriter Billy Bob Thorton has cancelled television appearances that required him to get on a plane.
- Muhammad Ali, former champion boxer.
- Bob Bechel, political analyst.
- Ray Bradbury, science fiction writer.
- Cher, singer/actress.
- Florence Henderson, actress.
- Glenda Jackson, actress and member of British Parliament.
- Michael Jackson, singer.
- John Madden, sportscaster.
- Bob Newhart, comedian/actor.
- Ronald Reagan, former U.S. President and actor.
Celebrities who have phobias
- Actress Natalie Wood was hydrophobic – her accidental death by drowning in the ocean in 1981 was very strange and unsettling for those who knew her well.
- Tennis champ André Agassi has a phobia of spiders, according to Brooke Shields in a statement to the press in October 1996.
- Supernatural novelist Anne Rice has stated that she fears the dark.
- Actress Kim Basinger has a phobia of wide, open spaces.
- Film director Alfred Hitchcock had a peculiar fear of eggs, according to biographer Donald Spoto. Country star Lyle Lovett reportedly is afraid of cows.
- Pop singer Michael Jackson appears to have a phobia of germs (referring to his obsessive wearing of a surgical-style mask when out in public).