Calories per serving: 381
– 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
– 1 onion, peeled and chopped
– 1 red or green chilli, peeled and chopped
– 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
– 250g minced beef
– 400g can chopped tomatoes
– 300-400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 beef stock cube
– 1-2 cubes dark chocolate
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
– dash of Tabasco sauce
- a few nacho chips
- 4 dessertspoons soured cream
- 30g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook it over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the minced beef to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the meat has browned. Pour 660ml water into the pan and add the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans. Crumble in the stock cube and stir until it’s dissolved. Bring the mixture to the boil then cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer the soup gently for 20-30 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate. Stir until it melts and then stir in the coriander and season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.
3. Spoon the soup into serving bowls, pushing the meat towards the centre of the bowl. Place a small pile of nacho chips in the centre so they rest on the meal and then spoon some soured cream on top and scatter over some grated Cheddar. Serve immediately.
OUR TIP:The cold soup may be packed into a suitable container and frozen up to 1 month. Allow the soup to defrost before reheating it thoroughly. The garnish is not suitable for freezing.