Chocolate and Raspberry Cake
Calories per square: 333
Saturated fat: 9g
Suitable for freezing: NO
For the cake:
– 175g self-raising flour
– 2tbsp cocoa
– 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 150g dark muscovado sugar
– 2tbsp golden syrup
– 2 large eggs
– 150ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
– 150ml milk
For the topping:
– 200g bar dark chocolate
– 300ml carton whipping cream
– 2tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
– 2 x 200g punnets raspberries
– 28 x 18cm traybake tin, lined with baking parchment
1. Set the oven to 160C or Gas Mark 3.
2. To make the cake, sift the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and stir in the muscovado sugar. Add the golden syrup. Lightly beat together the eggs, oil and milk, pour into the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Pour the mixture into the traybake tin and bake for 25-30 mins, or until the cake is just firm to the touch in the centre. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for about 5 mins, than transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. For the topping, break the chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl. Bring the cream to the boil in a pan and pour over the chocolate, than add the icing sugar. Stir until the chocolate melts. Mix well to give a smooth consistency, or use a stick blender. Leave the ganache to cool until it’s a spreading consistency, either letting it cool at room temperature or to speed it up, place it in the fridge – but stir regularly.
4. Spread the chocolate mixture over the top of the cake and then arrange the raspberries on top of the ganache. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Our Tip:The cake can be made a day in advance, but only decorate it on the day serving.