Rhubarb and Ginger Loaf
Saturated fat: 10.5g
Suitable for freezing: no
– 250g self-raising flour
– 1tbsp ground ginger
– Pinch of salt
– 150g butter, softened
– 150g caster sugar
– 3 medium eggs
– 300g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2-3cm slices
– Icing sugar for dusting
– 1kg loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
1. Set the oven to 180ºC pr Gas Mark 4. Sift the flour, ginger and salt into a bowl and add the butter, sugar and eggs. Beat to give a smooth, thick mixture. Stir in the rhubarb. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and level the surface.
2. Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until just firm to the touch in the centre and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted in the cake.
3. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
4. Dust the cake with icing sugar just before serving, either warm or at room temperature.
Tip from our kitchen: Don’t worry if the mixture seems thick before the rhubarb is added – this is because the rhubarb will release a lot of moisture during cooking.