saturated fat: 8g
suitable for freezing: NO
· 2tbsp light olive oil
· 1 onion, peeled and sliced
· 400g can chopped tomatoes
· 1tsp caster sugar
· 1 bay leaf
· 30g butter, softened
· 6-8 slices white bread, crusts removed
· 3 eggs
· 10-15 slices of thinly sliced chorizo
· 3-4tbsp freshly grated mature Cheddar cheese
1. Set the oven to 180C or Gas mark 4.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until it starts to softened. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf and 300ml water and simmer for about 10-15 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the mixture to cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf and season to taste.
3. Butter the bread on one side and cut in half diagonally.
4. Beat the eggs into the cooled tomato sauce. Pour about a third of it into the base of a buttered ovenproof dish. Arrange bread on top, butter side up, and put the chorizo slices between the bread.
5. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 25-30 mins, or until the cheese is a light golden colour and the tomato mixture has just set.